Friday, July 21, 2017

Healthy Homemade Cookies For Kids and Everyone


                                               

I have always loved baking. However, I have also been moody with it. For example when I got married I baked a lot for the family. I baked for my husband on every special occasion ( check out my strawberry cupcakes from one Valentine’s Day). 

With adira in our lives now I have been so busy doing the mundane chores that my other hobbies had taken a backseat. But I am glad that I am back to doing those things again. Ofcourse not at the same pace but I am definitely doing them again. 

Baking is one of those things. I don’t bake everyday anyway but I had completely left it for a while. 

Contrary to my excuse for not baking, now adira is my reason to bake. You know how kids love biscuits. Also, biscuits come to our rescue when out for dinner or in a public place to keep these toddlers occupied. No, I am not proud of handing her a biscuit every time. Rather a lot of times I carry fresh cuts of cucumber/carrot/apple/pear. But sometimes these kids just need a biscuit.

Earlier I used to give adira the biscuits that we eat. Then I came across two brands making biscuits specially for kids. One was imported and exorbitantly priced, hence I never found enough reason to give it a try. The other brand is Indian and I still order it every now and then since it is relatively cheaper. 

Then the other day I decided to bake biscuits at home and for various reasons. Firstly, I would be making them and so I knew what exactly went in them.  Secondly, the cost of baking them at home was much lesser. Thirdly, they weren't too tough to make.

So I thought I will share the recipe with you people. I did go through a few YouTube videos and made my changes to the recipes shown there. These biscuits are super healthy and even adults will enjoy these. There is no excuse to not bake them (exclude laziness ofcourse).


Ingredients

½ cup oats (powdered)
½ cup wholewheat flour (atta)
1/3 cup clarified butter (ghee)
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup jaggery sugar 
2 tbsp milk
¼ tbsp cardamom powder
¼ tbsp cinnamon powder
Pinch of salt
½ tbsp baking powder

Recipe 

Preheat the oven at 180 degree Celsius 

Pour ghee in a bowl.

Add both kinds of sugar to it and whisk it well.

On the other side, mix wholewheat flour and powdered oats in a bowl. Add cinnamon and cardamom powder to it. Give it all a good mix.

Add a pinch of salt and baking powder to the dry flour mixture. Give it all one final stir.

Add this mixture to the ghee-sugar mix. Mix it to a crumbly texture. 

Add milk and turn the mix to a dough.

Roll the dough flat on a surface. Cut it as per the shape of your choice. Prick these a little with a fork.

Transfer the cut cookies to a plate and refrigerate for 20 minutes. After that transfer them to a baking tray. 



Shove the tray into the oven and allow the cookies to bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 15-20 minutes or till the edges are brown. 

Once the cookies are done transfer them to a rack and let them cool.



Store them in an airtight box.



You will not feel guilty giving your child these healthy cookies. You can adjust the sugar as per your liking. I found my cookies a bit too sweet this time. I have given a measurement above that will make the cookies’s sweetness just right. 

You can also add powdered almonds to this. I did not have too much time so I skipped it.

 Also, these cookies can turn into a meal for babies if mixed with hot milk. You can turn it into a smooth mix add some banana to it and voila! Meal ready! 

Everybody at my end loved these. I just wished i had a more interesting/fun cookie cutter. I will buy a few soon.

Give these a try...after-all there is nothing in this world like homemade goodness.

P.S.: I simply chose that title because Adira and other kids like adira were my focus when I was baking these.

No comments:

Post a Comment