Sunday, January 15, 2017

Life like an Icecream

12th January 2017, 11:45 PM 

After packing each and every return favour in the day, I have now retired to bed all tired, hoping for a sound sleep. But somehow my thoughts are hopping between the confirmed guest list to the decor to the catering and then my own make up. It would be my daughter's first lohri tomorrow and her first celebration since birth and I am so looking forward to it. 

13th January 2017, 7:32 AM

I wake up at the sound of the door opening. I see my mother-in-law standing besides our bed with a face that is telling a sad story. We are informed about the demise of a very close relative and hence the lohri function has to be cancelled. I pick up my cell phone that has been left on snooze; a string of calls follows.

Later in the morning, while dipping a teabag in the cup I just found myself wondering about the course of events that took place in less than a span of 12 hours and the impact it left in our lives. It took me back to a quote we used quite often in school "life is like an ice cream, enjoy before it melts". How true it is, isn't it? One moment you have a cone of the most inviting ice cream swirl in your hand and the next moment the top has wilted and you find your hands all sticky with the cream pearls slowly giving themselves away in the darkness between your palm and cone.

The night before lohri, I was super excited about the celebration and the equation of my feelings just changed the following morning. My heart sank not just because we had to cancel our daughter's very first celebration and not because I had hand packed every return favour myself wanting to make it special but also because the life we lost that morning was very special. May his soul rest in peace.  He will continue to live in our hearts and be remembered in our thoughts. 

I usually get philosophical when such things happen. In general we spend so much time and exert so much energy planning this and that and then suddenly, from nowhere life hurls a mishap in our face leaving us ambushed. Do we stop planning then? I say NO. Because every successful even needs some planning. While we all like adventure a bit of planning does no harm. 

The two contrasting events just helped me realise how short life is and how uncertain. we must make the most of it while it lasts. After all who doesn't like licking the top of that ice cream swirl? 

So be happy. Love, laugh and forgive easily. Enjoy the ice cream before it melts away. Goodnight 









4 comments:

  1. Very interesting blog. A lot of blogs I see these days don't really provide anything that attract others, but I'm most definitely interested in this one. Just thought that I would post and let you know.

    ReplyDelete