Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Vegetable Clear Soup



Just the other day I had heavy food during the first half of the day. I was planning to skip dinner but since I prefer eating something light over skipping a meal altogether I started brainstorming for dinner menu ideas. I was still thinking when I noticed the assorted vegetables sitting in the refrigerator shouting out to me to use them. And that is how I zeroed in on making myself some vegetable clear soup.

It hardly takes anytime to get ready and is awfully easy to prepare. The taste is too good for a quick, light and healthy meal.

If you have got a bloated stomach after a wedding this soup will help your system relax.

Ingredients (For two bowls of soup)
2 ½ cups of water
½ cup shredded cabbage
2-3 chunks of cauliflower
½ chopped tomato
1 chopped/shredded carrot
A fistful of sweet corns
2-3 chunks of broccoli
2-3 cloves of garlic
Salt as per taste
1 tbsp pepper (or as per taste)
½ tbsp of soy sauce
½ tbsp of lemon juice
Fresh chopped coriander

Recipe
Pour water in a pressure cooker.

Add to it, cloves of garlic, all vegetables, salt and pepper.

Add a little bit of coriander to it, leaving the rest for later.

Close the lid of the cooker, put it on the burner and let it whistle once.

Turn the flame off, let the steam settle. 

Open the cooker. Remove the cloves of garlic from the soup.
 
Transfer the soup into a bowl; add soy sauce and lemon juice to it.

Shower the chopped fresh coriander, give it a final stir and it is ready!


yummy!!!

  Notes:

You can either remove the garlic cloves or mince them into the soup once it is done. It all depends on your affinity towards garlic.

You can substitute the lemon juice with vinegar.

I used the veggies I had at home, however you can add as many vegetables you like, ranging from spinach leaves to chunks of mushrooms and babycorn.

The non-vegetarians need not be disappointed. You can try the chicken version (my husband absolutely loves it). All you have to do is put 2-3 pieces of chicken with the veggies in the cooker before putting in on the flame. Instead of 1 whistle, give it 2-3 whistles. Once the cooker is off the flame and the lid is off just mince the soft boiled chicken roughly with a fork. Add the sauces and coriander in the same way. And chicken clear soup is ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment