Tuesday, June 3, 2014

WALNUT RAISIN CAKE



Like I have mentioned earlier that I do not really need a reason to bake, but if I have got one then nothing better.


The other day it was one of our aunties birthday. We share the same neighbourhood and I must say that she is one of those aunties who everyone will love. She is social, outgoing and very fit and graceful for people her age. Since she was the birthday girl I decided to bake a cake for her on behalf of our family.

Now I know most people choose a chocolate cake as their first preference because we all love
chocolate, but since I like making people try new stuff I chose to bake a walnut raisin cake for her (plus my mother-in-law loves walnuts so I knew she too will enjoy her slice of cake). 

When I was preparing the batter it looked absolutely gorgeous. I could not take my eyes off the oven while the cake was getting baked. When it came out it looked so pretty and perfect that I named it “Golden Marvel” (I love giving such names to my recipes, to make them feel special).

The cake was given a light butter frosting to keep it simple so that aunty could enjoy it with uncle over a cup of tea.

Aunty, who looked stunning in pink, was overwhelmed when she saw the cake. 

The reviews were A+ *Big Smile*. My father-in-law wants me to bake it again for the family so that he can enjoy a generous serving.

Alright I am going to keep it short and share the recipe so that you too can enjoy this bake.

golden marvel behind the gate, then out in the open and later adorned with nuts and raisin


INGREDIENTS

For the Batter

1 ¼ cup All-Purpose flour (maida)
1 ¼ cup sugar
2 eggs
75 gm butter (room temperature)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tbsp baking powder
½ tbsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
½ cup milk
2 fistful walnuts
15-20 raisins

For the Frosting

25-30 gm butter (room temperature)
Sugar as per taste (I used 2-3 tbsp)
½ tbsp vanilla extract

RECIPE

For the Cake

Preheat the oven at 180 degree Celsius.

Grind a fistful of walnuts finely, breaking the other fistful roughly into chunks.

Cream the butter in a bowl.

Add sugar to it and whisk it well.

Add one egg at a time and whisk well.

Drop in the vanilla extract in it.

Give it good stir and enjoy the fragrance.

Sift together maida, baking powder, baking soda and a pinch of salt.

Add the finely ground walnuts to it and mix.

Also, add the roughly chopped walnuts and half the raisins.

Now add the dry maida mix to the wet egg-butter mix in three shifts.

Add a little milk with each shift and fold the flour gently in the wet mix.

Butter the mould and spread some maida on it to form a thin layer.

Transfer the batter into the mould and bake in the preheated oven at 180 degree Celsius for 20 minutes.

Now reduce the temperature to 160 degree Celsius and bake for another 20 minutes.

Take the prick test. Put a skewer in the centre of the cake, if it comes out clean it is done else bake for another few minutes.

Let the cake cool down a little. Now transfer it on a rack.

For the Frosting

Cream the butter, add sugar and vanilla essence.

Whisk till the mixture is creamy, light and fluffy.

Keep it in the refrigerator for sometime.

Placement

Apply the frosting evenly on the cake with a knife (the bigger the better, I used a butter knife since I did not have a big one)

Decorate it with chopped walnuts and chopped raisins.

NOTE:

If you have parchment paper or cooking spray, use it to line the mould instead of butter and flour. I used what was readily available in my kitchen.

I used two versions of walnuts: finely ground and roughly chopped to add different textures to the cake. You can use any as per your convenience.

You can turn this cake into an almond one by replacing walnuts with almonds and vanilla essence with almond extract.


HAPPY BAKING!!








No comments:

Post a Comment