Saturday, April 23, 2016

Macaroni in Orange Sauce

Hello again! 
Yesterday night me and my dearest husband were home alone and since I was in charge of the dinner it had to be understood by default that my husband would like to have something other than the normal dal roti sabzi. 

Originally I wanted to make pasta in orange sauce. But since we didn't have any pasta at home and the macaroni was in abundance, I ended up making macaroni in orange sauce. 

My husband and I both enjoyed it. I hope you enjoy cooking it and having it with your loved once. 



INGREDIENTS (serves 2 hungry people)

4-5 fistfuls of macaroni (boiled with a spoon of oil)
Fistful of grated pizza cheese 
1/2 tbsp garlic chilli seasoning
1 capsicum (diced and steamed)
Handful of beans (chopped and steamed)


For Orange Sauce 

Mix the below mentioned two sauces

Red Sauce

2 Bay leaves
1/2 tbsp garlic paste
3 tomatoes (puréed)
1 tbsp oil
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
2 tbsp ketchup 

White Sauce

2 tbsp butter 
1/2 tbsp garlic paste
1.5 tbsp all purpose flour
1 cup milk
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Oregano to taste 

RECIPE

Red Sauce

Put oil in a pan. Add bay leaves to it and let them crackle.

Add garlic paste and cook for a minute.

Add puréed tomatoes and salt and cook till tomatoes reduce to almost half.

Add ketchup and pepper. Let it cook for a few minutes, then turn the flame off. 

White Sauce

Put butter in a pan. Add garlic paste to it and cook for a minute. 

Add all purpose flour, sauté for a few seconds.

And milk and stir really well to avoid lumps.

Let it simmer for a minute or two. Add salt, pepper and oregano. Cook for a few more seconds, then turn the flame off.

Orange Sauce

Mix the above two sauces. Add some milk if it gets too thick and let it come to a boil. 

Final Macaroni

Add grated cheese to the Orange sauce and stir well.

Add the boiled macaroni, steamed capsicum and beans and mix them all well.

Cook for a few minutes, drizzling some garlic chilli seasoning. 

Serve hot with toasted buttered bread. 

NOTE:

You can use wholewheat pasta for a healthier version.

I didn't have too many veggies at hand so I used what was lying in the fridge. You can add mushrooms, broccoli, red and yellow bell peppers.

You can use a tbsp of sugar instead of ketchup  to balance out the tang of the tomato purée.

I didn't have fresh basil leaves. If you can hold of them, add them to your red sauce, sparing a few for garnish.

You can serve this with garlic bread or focaccia. I used what I had in stock.

HAPPY COOKING! 


No comments:

Post a Comment